Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are younot to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Baggage or Luggage


I salute my mom for selecting my name, the story goes, that she was watching a documentary on the life of Nadia Comaneci the world famous gymnast that scored the first ever recorded perfect 10 at the Olympics. In the climax of the documentary, as she scored the perfect ten, my highly emotional pregnant mom felt me kicking her in her belly, and you guessed it – she decided my name must be Nadia. Nadia means hope and is Arabic.

During most of the “Getting to know you” phases in any dating relationship I have been, I have told this story with loads of passion and pride. I told the story to Marco Polo, and he very casually noted that there are plenty of Nadia girls claiming this story… FAIL

The question rose – “Why are you still single?” My highly intelligent and experienced intellectual stimulus informs me at this point, something is coming. It is either one of the following options:
A. He wants to flirt
B. He wants to establish if I have any serious issues
C. He wants to share his serious issues

Usually the conversation diverts to either Option A or B naturally; if he responds with a casual “Ok” you know you have to return the question, to enquire about his serious issues. Marco Polo’s response was “Ok”, I did the responsible thing and ordered another round of shots, then after my courage influx asked his question back to him.

“I was married for a year, her name is Nadia” Problem is, I was really starting to like this evasive young man, “You are welcome to run, Nadia” I looked down at my stirlling silver shoes, weighed my options and decided “These shoes aren’t made for running”

Two weeks later, I realized the intense hurt and heartbrokenness he must have experienced. I asked him about, the moment he started feeling the healing.
The flood doors opened up, he told me the intense story, sparing me no details. The beauty of the story is, he opened the flood doors, pondering on the subject for at least four hours, there after he told me the moment he felt healed and it was the end of the subject. I recalled the other bruised little doves I have dated in the past, we would share this awesome romantic moment together and this heavenly moment would spark a moment of Ex-Files. PASSION KILLER 101. These Ex-Files was only dating, never married.

Following the intense Ex-Files episode, we went ice skating, I used the time to analyze his story, I had an epiphany. Dating someone that has just escaped Psycho Ex (have you ever wondered why you never meet these Psychos first hand – you always just hear about them??) could have more baggage, than someone that gracefully exited a marriage and he only keeps luggage - Wonderful relationship experience, baggage something that slows you down on an airport.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Love your blog so much, my dear!

    The story behind your name is really great. It's kind of epic, isn't it. And I also like your take on relationships. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    :)

    ~Zabrinah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zabrinah, thank you kindly for your response! Must say as soon as you take a backseat, allow yourself to see the humor in the dating game; your life becomes so much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete